Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thing #17

Podcasts could be addicting. I spent hours looking at several of them. I had a hard time finding specific subjects that I was interested in but I will keep working on it. I did look at Just One More Book which I loved. It was fairly easy to navigate and I could use it to introduce a book or use the picture books to introduce a lesson such as visualization. It also had a great list of poems that could be used in a poetry unit. I think my students would enjoy listening to someone other than myself reading. I also looked at Education Podcast Network but I need to spend more time searching around this. I could not find much that I could use in 5th grade. I also really liked the Our City Podcast. I think that students would like listening to other students talk about their homes and learning about different regions. Podcasting could be used as a project for students after research or a novel study to show their understanding of the content.

2 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to Barnes and Noble's Meet the Author podcast series. It's so great! They have several different parts, one is a little factoid about a famous author or novel that lasts about a minute; another is an audio podcast that lasts about 5 minutes and is really interesting if you know the author being interviewed (and Steve Bertrand, the interviewer, is SO nice and curious about things!); and then there's the video podcast, that seems to be the longest, at maybe 10 minutes. I just saw Jodi Piccoult interviewed on her latest book, how she got started, and even on how she feels about her book that's being done as a movie this summer (My Sister's Keeper). Awesome podcast -- check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa - I will check this out.

    ReplyDelete